Buddy Dantin’s Étouffée Recipe
2 pounds of either crawfish or shrimp
1 stick of butter
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 large bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 bunch of green onions, separated bottoms and tops
1 tablespoon fresh chopped garlic
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 dried red chile pepper, chopped, seeds included
Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Seafood
1. Generously coat the crawfish or shrimp with the seafood seasoning and place covered in the refrigerator.
2. Melt butter in a cast iron pot and sauté the onions, bell peppers, green onion bottoms and chili peppers over a medium high heat until they are clear.
3. Add the garlic and let cook for about 3 minutes.
4. Add cream of mushroom soup and stir to blend well and avoid sticking.
5. Bring the mixture back up to heat and add the crawfish or shrimp. You may add another 1 to 2 tablespoons of the seafood seasoning.
6. Cook for 10 minutes. If the mix is too thick, add seafood stock.
7. Salt and pepper to taste, then add the chopped green onion tops and cook for 5 more minutes.