For The Chicken:
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 large egg
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
For The Sauce :
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice or apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1/2 cup of water or chicken stock
1. In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
2. Cook rice and steam vegetables. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk egg with cornstarch, salt and pepper.
4. Add chicken pieces to the batter. Mix well.
5. In a large skillet, heat up one tablespoon olive oil. Place chicken, piece by piece, in pan and cook on all sides until the batter is golden and slightly brown. It’s easier to cook the chicken in two batches, using one tablespoon of oil each time.
6. Once the chicken is done, pour sauce mixture over it and simmer on medium low heat until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
7. Serve chicken over rice with a side of steamed vegetables.
8. Garnish with a light sprinkle of chopped green onions.