French Croque Madame Sandwich
Delight your guests with this sophisticated and delicious Mother’s Day brunch recipe.
6 ounces unsalted butter, divided
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup whole milk
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt,
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
8 slices thick sourdough bread
8 to 12 slices ham – about 3/4 pound
12 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated, divided
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. Make the bechamel sauce: In a small saucepan, melt one ounce of the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly 2-3 minutes. Do not allow to brown. Add milk and the bay leaf and cook 10-12 minutes, stirring until it thickens. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the Parmesan. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
3. Arrange and top 4 slices of sourdough bread with 2 to 3 slices of ham. Mix together half of the Gruyere cheese and the bechamel sauce. Spread the sauce on the ham and top each with another slice of bread.
4. Heat half of the remaining butter in a large iron skillet. Brown the sandwiches on one side for two minutes. Then turn and brown them for an additional two minutes. Put the sandwiches on a baking sheet and spread the remaining bechamel sauce on top of the sandwiches. Top with the other half of the Gruyere cheese.
5. Wipe any crumbs from the cast iron skillet and spray the skillet with nonstick spray. Crack 4 eggs into the skillet and fry. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. While the eggs are frying, place the sandwiches under the broiler for two minutes until the top becomes golden brown.
7. Top each sandwich with a fried egg. Serve immediately and enjoy this unique Mother’s Day brunch recipe.