This Irish Stew recipe is a hearty meal for your St. Patrick’s Day celebration with family and friends.
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds beef stew meat
1 cup onion coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ cup all purpose flour
1 cup Irish stout beer
4 cups beef broth
¼ cup tomato paste
2 pounds small yellow potatoes halved
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 cups carrots peeled, halved and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add half the beef cubes to the pot in a single layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned. Remove the beef from the pot and repeat with remaining meat. Remove all the browned meat from the pot.
4. Add the onions to the pot and cook for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Return the meat to the pot. Add the flour and stir to coat the meat and onions.
6. Add the beer, beef broth, tomato paste, potatoes, thyme and carrots to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and bring the pot to a simmer.
7. Cover the pot. Place it in the oven and bake for 2½ – 3 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
For more food and cocktail recipes from Sophisticated Woman, click here.