Enjoy the flavors of the season this warm and tasty recipe for Autumn Artichoke Soup which takes just a little over an hour to prepare.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
2 14-ounce cans artichoke hearts in brine, drained and rinsed
3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
1 ½ cups heavy cream
½ cup crème fraiche
1 baguette, sliced and toasted
Lemon wedges for spritzing
1. Heat a large pot over medium-low heat and add the olive oil and butter. Add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent for about 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Stir in the artichoke hearts and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup until the artichokes are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. They will begin to fall apart and almost melt into the soup.
4. Carefully transfer the soup to a blender (place a towel on top) and blend until smooth. Pour the soup back into the pot.
5. Stir the cream and crème fraiche into the soup. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 30 minutes. It will reduce a bit. Season with more salt and pepper if needed. Also, stir in more cream if needed.
6. Serve the Autumn Artichoke Soup with toasted baguette pieces on top and spritz with a lemon wedge.