4 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/3 cups onion, chopped
2 bunches fresh cilantro, stems removed and leaves minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 – 14 ounce cans tomato sauce
2 – 15 ounce cans red beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and ground black pepper to tast
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Stir in onions and cook and stir until soft and translucent for about 10 minutes.
3. Add in cilantro, garlic, cinnamon, coriander and cumin. Cook until fragrant for about 3 minutes.
4. Pour in tomato sauce and reduce heat to low. Simmer sauce until flavors combine for about 10 minutes.
5. Stir beans into sauce. Cover skillet and simmer until beans are heated for about 10 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Let rest for about 20 minutes before serving.