2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, finely diced
2 large stalks celery, finely diced
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
8 ounces mild Italian pork sausage, casings removed
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 large egg, beaten
9 cups store-bought seasoned or unseasoned stuffing cubes
1-3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 whole (in halves) 5-6 lb. skin-on turkey breast, boned and butterflied
Kosher salt and pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oi
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions and celery for 3-4 minutes.
Add garlic and sausage. Cook for 6 minutes
until sausage is lightly browned.
3. Add the wine, rosemary and thyme and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. Mix the egg, stuffing cubes, chicken broth, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and sausage mixture in a mixing bowl. Stir until all the bread is moistened.
5. Place butterflied turkey breast skin-side down and cover with plastic wrap. Pound turkey breast with a mallet to 1/2-inch thickness. Rub with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon half of the stuffing in an even layer over the breast, leaving a 1-inch border. Bake the remaining stuffing for the last 40 minutes of the turkey’s cooking time.
7. Roll the turkey and tie the roll with kitchen string leaving about 1-1/2 inches between each knot.
8. Line a baking sheet with foil and place an oven-proof rack over top. Spray with nonstick spray. Place the turkey seam-side down on the rack and drizzle with oil, and then salt and pepper.
9. Roast for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 155°F. Remove turkey from oven and loosely tent with foil for 15 minutes.
10. Remove the twine and slice into 1/2-inch thick slices. Arrange in a serving dish.