Hearty Irish Boxty
2 pounds potatoes, cooked
¾ cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
7 ounces Irish cheddar cheese, shredded
¼ cup chopped chives
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for pan frying
Sour cream for topping
½ pound ground beef
½ medium onion, grated
1 pinch garlic salt
¼ cup breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1.Bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes until tender. Drain the potatoes and transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add 1/2 cup milk and butter, and mash until smooth. Stir in the remaining milk, flour, egg, salt, pepper, cheese and chopped chives.
3. In another bowl, mix the ground beef, onion, garlic salt, one egg, and bread crumbs.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet and pour in the potato batter, using a spatula to form 3-inch circles.
5. Place about 2 teaspoons of beef mixture filling on the pancakes, spreading the filling almost to the edges.
6. Drop another rounded tablespoon of potato mixture on top of the beef mixture and spread it out to completely cover the mixture.
7. Fry for about 5 minutes until the bottom of the pancake is golden brown. Then flip and fry the other side for an additional 1 to 2 more minutes.
8. Top with sour cream.