1 pound crab meat, picked over for shells
2 pounds headless shrimp
3 cups frozen or fresh shucked corn kernels
2 poblano peppers, charred and peeled
1 ½ cups any dry white wine or pinot grigio
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium white onions, roughly chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 leek, sliced–white and yellow part only
1 bunch green onions–sliced white part only, reserve tops
6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
1 bundle of 6 thyme sprigs tied with cotton twine
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons flour
1 quart shrimp stock
1 quart chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
1. Place whole poblanos rubbed with vegetable oil on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes in a 450 degree oven.
Turn every five minutes until evenly charred. Cover with plastic wrap in a bowl for 15 minutes. Then peel, seed and chop.
2. Peel the shrimp, put tails aside in fridge and place the shells in a dry skillet. Cook on medium heat until the shells
begin to brown. Add the wine and reduce liquid, then add five cups water and bring to a full boil. Lower heat and
simmer 20 minutes. Strain stock to remove shells.
3. Heat the oil on medium high in an 8 quart stock pot and then add the butter.
4. When butter foams, add the onion and stir for two minutes. Then add carrots, bell pepper, poblano pepper, celery,
green onions and saute’ for two minutes.
5. Add the garlic, herbs, spices and hot sauce. Stir for two minutes.
6. Stir in the flour and cook for two minutes.
7. Add the shrimp stock slowly, bring to a boil and simmer for three minutes.
8. Allow to cool, remove bay leaf and thyme stems, puree in batches in a blender or in the pot with an immersion
blender. Return soup to pot, add chicken stock and corn, bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer 30 minutes.
9. Add the shrimp and simmer for five minutes. Then add the crab and cream and heat just to a boil.
10. Finish with green onion tops.